Chinese Brown Rice with Asparagus and Red Peppers
Chinese Brown Rice 2
1 hrPrep Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 3/4 pound asparagus cut into small pieces
- 1 med yellow onion sliced thin
- 1/2 med red pepper sliced thin
- Sriracha Sauce to taste
- 4 cups brown rice pre-cooked
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
- 2 tsp sugar (optional)
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic (or more)
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- lemon juice (optional)
- pre-cook rice. If using a rice cooker, cook the asparagus in the steam tray)
- Saute onion and pepper in water in large skillet. If you didn't pre-cook asparagus, throw that in there too.
- Cook until soft. Add water as needed to keep food from sticking.
- In a saucepan, combine soy sauce, Sriracha Sauce (start with a few teaspoons), broth, molasses, sugar, ginger, and garlic. Bring to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add arrowroot powder. Allow mixture to thicken slightly then turn off the heat.
- Once veggies are softened, add rice to skillet then pour the brown sauce on top. Heat through and serve. Additional Sriracha can be added if you prefer a little more kick. A tablespoon or two of lemon juice can also be added for some zest.