Chinese Brown Rice with asparagus, onion, and red peppers
Chinese Brown Rice 1
- Asparagus (3/4 lb or so) cut into small pieces about 1-2 inches
- 1 medium sized yellow onion
- 1/2 of a red pepper sliced thinly
- Sriracha Sauce (to taste)
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
- 2 Teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 2 heaping tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- (1) Cook the rice in a rice cooker. If you have a steam tray, cook asparagus there at the same time.
- (2) Saute onion and pepper in water in a large skillet. If you didn’t pre-cook asparagus, throw that in the skillet too. Cook until soft, adding water as needed to keep from sticking.
- (3) In a saucepan, combine soy sauce, Sriracha Sauce (start with a few teaspoons), broth, molasses, sugar, ginger, and garlic. Bring to simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add arrowroot powder. Allow to thicken slightly. Turn off heat.
- (4) Once veggies are softened, add rice to skillet then pour the brown sauce on top.
- (5) Heat through and serve. Additional Sriracha can be added if you prefer a little more kick. A tablespoon or two of lemon juice can also be added for some zest.
Lemon juice (optional)