There’s nothing like a piece of spiced pumpkin bread on a cool fall or cold winter morning. This recipe comes from my mother-in-law, Grandma Sweetman. Hence the name Grandma’s Pumpkin Bread Recipe. 🙂 For years she would give these as gifts and refuse to give the recipe. If she were here now, she’d probably smack me upside the head for posting it, but post it I will. You all just have to taste these. The best there is.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- one 15-ounce can of pumpkin
- walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or use cooking spray to grease the inside of three metal coffee cans (washed well).
- In large bowl, mix first 6 ingredients. Add remaining ingredients except walnuts. Mix until all dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in walnuts. Save a few full walnut pieces for placing on the top of the loaves.
- Fill each can with 1/3 of mixture. Each can will be a little more than half full. Place walnut pieces on top of the batter (for decorative purposes). Place the three cans on a baking sheet in center of the oven.
- Bake about 60-70 minutes until a cake tester inserted in center comes out mostly clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from cans. Then allow to cool a bit more. Can be eaten warm, but best when cooled completely.
- Wrap in plastic wrap. Even better the 2nd day! Freezes well.
- Don’t forget to check out our other recipes. And like our Facebook page by clicking the link beside this article. Enjoy!