Chinese Brown Rice Recipe
Asparagus (3/4 lb or so) cut into small pieces about 1-2 inches
1 medium sized yellow onion
1/2 of a red pepper sliced thinly
Sriracha Sauce (to taste)
4 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
2 Teaspoons sugar (optional)
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
2 heaping tablespoons chopped garlic
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
Lemon juice (optional)
(1) Cook the rice in a rice cooker. If you have a steam tray, cook asparagus there at the same time.
(2) Saute onion and pepper in water in a large skillet. If you didn’t pre-cook asparagus, throw that in the skillet too. Cook until soft, adding water as needed to keep from sticking.
(3) In a saucepan, combine soy sauce, Sriracha Sauce (start with a few teaspoons), broth, molasses, sugar, ginger, and garlic. Bring to simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add arrowroot powder. Allow to thicken slightly. Turn off heat.
(4) Once veggies are softened, add rice to skillet then pour the brown sauce on top.
(5) Heat through and serve. Additional Sriracha can be added if you prefer a little more kick. A tablespoon or two of lemon juice can also be added for some zest.