July 17

Part 2-–the 1950s Diet

Page_1Welcome Back to Part 2-–the 1950s Diet!  If you are here I am assuming you already read Part One of the 1950s diet.  And by now you are wondering if you have been subjected to a bait and switch.  No worries.  You haven’t. I am actually going to share my version of the Modern Day 1950s Housewife Diet with you today.  It’s the one and only way of eating that brought me from this:

Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 12.50.04 PM to this Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 12.51.32 PM

and from this

Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 12.47.03 PM to this Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 12.47.50 PM

in 3 months.   45 lbs shed.  Never hungry.

You ready?    It’ll be the last time you ever use the word diet because you’ll never need it again.  You’ll also likely improve many of your current health conditions to the point where you no longer have them–things like allergies, asthma, diabetes, and skin rashes.   I know this because it’s worked for tens of thousands of people.

I did not invent this diet.  I found it while desperately searching for an answer to my constant yo-yo dieting.   I needed something to help me get my weight and my life under control and it made sense.  I tried it and it worked so well that I was stunned.   And I had zero asthma symptoms.  And I had no more allergies.   And I had the best health of my life during a time when everyone around me was getting colds and flu. I also saved a ton of money on groceries and diet pills and potions and gym memberships.   And that’s why I call it the Modern Day 1950s diet.  Because it works amazingly well with no cigarettes and amphetamines required and it gave me a perfect hour-glass figure.  I went from a size 16/18 down to a size 7 in 3 months and all I did was eat the whole time.  I even ate ice cream four or five nights a week.  And brownies.  And cake.  And pizza.

So why did this one work?  And why did it catch my eye?  Let’s start with this.

Why in all of my years with hundreds of different diets did nobody ever mention stretch receptors? or chemoreceptors lining my digestive tract?   What are they and why do they matter, you ask?  Well they matter because they tell your brain when to tell you that you aren’t hungry anymore.   Here’s how they work (photo is by Dr. Joel Fuhrman.  I’ll introduce you to his books in a moment.)

10392438_10203388584288512_7122157555209378030_n-1
When you eat, there are stretch receptors in your stomach that tell your brain when you have eaten enough bulk.   Then there are chemoreceptors in your intestines that tell your brain that you’ve gotten enough nutrition from what you ate.   But here’s the thing.  If either of those components are missing, your brain will continue to tell you to eat.

So let me put that into plain english.   If you eat a cheeseburger and fries and a Coke, for example, your stomach may stretch to capacity and you will feel full and the stretch receptors will send a message to your brain telling it to stop calling for food.   You will feel fine for a bit, but as soon as all that food hits your intestines and your chemoreceptors don’t find enough nutritional value in it, they send a message back to your brain to cause you to want to eat again so that it can hopefully get you to bring in more nutrition.   This keeps happening until your body gets enough vitamins, minerals, enzymes and phytochemicals, etc. to run well and keep you healthy.  Sometimes that never happens.   Sometimes no matter how much you eat, you just keep feeling hungry an hour later.

Oh but it gets worse.  When you diet and restrict calories but continue to eat those same kinds of foods, you can imagine what happens.   Eating smaller quantities of nutritionally deficient foods just causes you to not even get the benefit of the stretch receptor break.   You are eating such small quantities that your body never tells your brain that you are satisfied.   If you tough it out, your stomach will eventually shrink and you may not feel hungry all the time, but those chemoreceptors are still not getting enough nutrition to turn off the hunger for long.  Usually within thirty minutes or so your belly will start growling again.   You can’t live like that forever.   And that’s why diets never work.

On the other hand if you have a big thick fruit smoothie for breakfast, or you eat a great big salad with all kinds of colorful and yummy veggies and maybe some nuts and seeds in it for lunch (just as one example.  It could be veggie lasagna, or something else too), your stretch receptors and your chemo receptors both tell your brain that it has enough for now.   It digests slowly, pulling all that good nutrition out.  All the while you feel satisfied and happy.

That little tidbit of info was the first thing that made me realize I was on to something new. Something that might actually work.  If this makes sense to you, you will also want to hear Dr. Fuhrman explain about insulin and how it reacts in your body and is making you fat.  Those food choices are truly killing you.

He talks about all that, diseases, and slow metabolisms in his book.  He talks about so much more than I could ever summarize here, that I have to simply recommend that you buy his book and read it cover to cover.   To make it easy, I’m including it in the “I recommend these products” widget to the right of this article.   Look for Eat To Live. (you may have to use the > button in the widget.)  Make sure you have the book and not the cookbook.  I am also including links to his cookbook and some of his other books, so be sure you have the right one.  They are all excellent.   They have saved my life.

But don’t worry.  I’m not going to leave you hanging.   I’m going to give you a basic outline of what my daily diet ended up morphing into.  And I’ll give you a plan that you can use to prepare yourself and start transitioning into an Eat To Live way of living until you can get the book and read it.

Dr. Fuhrman has a few different plans that you can follow.   He has a vegan plan.  A meat-eating plan.  I hear he even has a less aggressive plan, but I can’t imagine anyone wanting to lose weight and get healthy slower.  Why would they?

My husband follows a modified vegan plan where he includes some meat every week.   I seem to do best on the vegan plan.  I know that sounds dramatic, but it really wasn’t.   There are so many recipes for vegan foods and vegan food products like sour cream and cream cheese out there that it’s easy now, once you set your mind to it.   Plus I have discovered that my asthma goes completely away when I eat a vegan diet.  I must have some type of reaction to animal products.

I DO understand that changing to a largely non-animal product diet can be a lot at first so here’s what I recommend as a transition until you can read the book and incorporate the entire plan.    Start by focusing on ADDING to your current eating plan rather than taking away.   Add a bunch of fruit to breakfast.  Eat it first.  Wait 10 minutes then eat the rest of your meal.  You will find yourself not eating what you used to.    Then every day for lunch, start with a giant salad.  (No meat or cheese in it please!)  If you are still hungry after, then eat your normal lunch.  You most likely won’t.   Then add as many vegetables to your dinner as you can and eat them first.

Start with that for a week or two.  By then you should have gotten and read Eat to Live.  Follow the guidelines in the book.  Before you know it you’ll be living on enormous quantities of crazy good for you food.   And you’ll lose about 20 lbs in 6 weeks. Or more.  My husband lost 28.

And as promised I’m going to tell you what I eat.   I live on Large LARGE amounts of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, beans, tofu, and smaller amounts of grains.  These can be combined into thousands of recipes.  I eat pizza, brownies, cakes, frozen banana ice cream (it’s fabulous) and even banana splits.  I eat sandwiches, fries, breakfast bars, wraps, Buffalo cauliflower (just like buffalo chicken wings), lasagna, chili, sloppy joes, cereal, and everything I used to eat–just modified.   I save a small fortune not buying meat.   You’d be amazed what cauliflower can replace.  (Chopped small into chili, it replaces the beef and you’d never know the difference!  I’ll share my recipe for chili later today.)

I also get a tremendous amount of recipes from www.vegweb.com

But I couldn’t know which are good and which are deadly until I read Dr. Fuhrman’s book.  Things like added oil are a no-no, but there are ways of switching ingredients out if need be. You’ll learn all that in the book.

If you are in a super duper hurry, you can also check out Dr. Fuhrman’s website.  But please don’t rob yourself of the permanent lifestyle change that comes from reading his book.   You owe it to yourself and your family.   That book has become my second bible.

Keep me posted if you decide to join me.   As I mentioned in my prior post, I had some life changes that caused me to fall into both menopause and a terrible depression and I lost my way from this way of life for a year.  I’ve recently made my way back and am feeling amazing already.   Just like the first time around I dropped 8 lbs in the first week and my head cleared.  My energy is back. My depression has lifted.   Life is looking good.  I won’t drift away again.   I hope you’ll join me.   And when you get to where you want to be, we’ll exchange 50’s pin up style photos. 🙂    Here’s one from last time.  Not bad for a granny!

Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 2.20.22 PM

10/24/14–still going strong!   Down 30 lbs and feeling amazing.   My asthma has completely cleared as well.   Are you ready?

Tags: , , , , , ,

Posted July 17, 2014 by The50sHousewife in category "Diet & Health --Back then and Now

1. By Svenja on

That post made me happy. I am living vegan for the last 4 years and for the last few weeks I try to “veganize” recipies from an old 50s German cookbook. I would absolutely LOVE to hear, how you incorporate your vegan diet into your lifestyle!
    Greets from Berlin
    Svenja

1. By The50sHousewife (Post author) on

I was just telling my husband yesterday that I really need to post more recipes. Now that you requested it, it shall be done! Stay tuned. 🙂

1. By Svenja on

That´s so nice! I am curious about 50s kitchen from other countries. It was such a propper cooking in these days. I always thought, I was a quite good cook but now I have to start all over because I´m laking the basic skills, young housewifes were taught then…

2. By Margaret wedtfield on

Just read the information on the 50shousewife.com and wondering if you can supply info of the dietplan for me to follow in my home please. You can forward to. Waterdidenain52@yahoo.co.UK. thank you very much.

1. By The50sHousewife (Post author) on

Hi Sandra! The diet plan is simple. Eat fruits, vegetable, nuts, seeds, grains, beans, and tofu. (And some dark chocolate!) 😉

There are thousands of combinations you can make with those. Including lots of amazing desserts.

3. By TheRuthlessCrafter on

I really like your approach. My problem is that I’ve been very hungry and thus going for a cookie to fill the feeling (and therefore gaining 10 lbs!). I’m not filled as a result and this has been a cycle as the sugar is making me more hungry. I like the idea of adding food versus depriving myself so I’m going to try it. Thanks for your website – I’m also enjoying it and have daily exercise planned as a result with my children now that they will be on summer vacation! I’m a 1950s housewife at heart and I’m glad to have found a kindred spirit!!

4. By Louisa on

Hiya! I’ve been reading through your blog and really loving it. There are so many hints that I have taken away with me. Now that I see you follow a vegan regime to stay beautiful and healthy, I know you’re one smart lady. My partner and I are also vegan, and we will be for life. It’s definitely not a fad (cough* Atkins), and our blood work is great. Animal products were a lot more expensive in the fifties, and people just couldn’t eat as much of it as they do today anyways. 🙂

5. By Kathy on

Great tips! I’ll be honest, as a dietitian, I was skeptical to read what you had to say…but I was curious…and boy am I glad I read it! You definitely are doing weight loss and health the right (healthy) way!! I am also a vegan (for about 3 years now), I didn’t lose any weight when I switched from a standard diet, but I don’t really think I needed to either. Anyways, keep up the great work! I might have missed it in your post, but did you/do you do any exercise as well?

1. By The50sHousewife (Post author) on

Hi! Thanks!

I do exercise, in fits and spurts. 🙂 BUT, the first 6 weeks on that program I did not and still lost 20 lbs.

6. By jenks on

We eat vegan quite a bit, vegetarian definitely we get a lot of great recipes from Oh She Glows website. We don’t try and recreate things like meatloaf with fake meat. To me, it’s counterproductive, you’re not eating healthy, just a different version of processed food.

7. Pingback: Diet Pills In The 1950’s – PC1Q6 | Weight Lost Topic

8. By Danielle Irby on

I’M AM SO happy to see someone else gets it. Id love to see your version of this. I’ve always said that there is a way.. THE OLD FASHION way .Ive lost 50 lbs but an begining to struggle again. so PLEASE I dont want to go back. at my age its NOT ok to go back ( 47).

9. By Rach on

🙁 Being Vegan for a year was the sickest I ever was and I made sure I had all the nutrients you needed to remain healthy; it just didn’t agree with my body. After that year it took about a month of adding in meat again that I was back to normal and healthy like I had new life.

The amount of meat I eat however is very low (which was actually how they used to eat around the 50s depending on sources.) About the size of the palm of my hand a day or every other day PLUS the abundance of veggies, fruits, nuts. The amounts of meat, sweets and pasta servings are 5 times greater than our ancestry and I honestly think that is the absolute biggest problem even beyond food is extreme mass consumption (at least in America.)

1. By The50sHousewife (Post author) on

Mr. C can’t go completely meat free either. And if we don’t supplement certain amino acids I get feeling very blue. I do still agree that a vegan diet is the magic cure for obesity, diabetes, and heart disease, but I’m not certain that it was how our bodies were meant to live full time. Even Dr. Fuhrman himself includes small amounts of chicken (6 oz or less per week) and sometimes eggs for his own family.

I now eat meat and dairy free most of the time and have an occasional steak tip or piece of chicken. I no longer have to supplement those amino acids because this is just enough animal protein to provide them for me.

2. By JoAnn on

I have been on every diet they ever put out in the last 50 years. There is only one that has consistently made a difference for me. A low carb life style. Everyone has individual needs. Weight Watchers, I gained 7 lbs in 2 weeks. I followed it to the “t”. 7 grain program, made me sick… I could go on but you get the idea. Now when I go the Dairy Queen on a cheat day, I physically get ill. So I stay on track and sometimes I have a nice fresh piece of locally made bread!

1. By The50sHousewife (Post author) on

I suggest you check out Dr. Fuhrman’s books that focus just on children and teens. He has some amazing insights and ideas.

10. By lynn on

I can definitely say I’ve begun adding a ton of fruits and veggies into my diet and feel amazing! I have eat with just about every meal but honestly if I don’t I get sick. Every one has their own preference which is fine. I must say, everything about the 1950s brings a smile to my face. I love taking care of the housework, cooking, taking care of the kids ( my husband plays with our 3 month old son constantly when he has free time). He tells me all the time how great the house looks and compliments me all the time. He says he appreciates me and that I love traditional family living. He works, takes care of finances, protects the family, is a great handyman and a Marine. It is not easy finding women with the mindset I have these days. Most of the time if I tell a woman now that I like being a housewife I’m looked at like I’m weak or letting a man walk all over me. Truth is, my marriage is stronger than any couple I’ve run into. I’m not ashamed to live old fashioned. God bless you all 🙂

11. By Cassandra on

Lynn you took the words right out of my mouth. I always feel like an outsider in this world because I have the 50s mindset also. I look forward to following this diet!!!

12. By Simplyserene416 on

Yes, this piece highlights what people miss when they simultaneously stuffing themselces but starving their body nutrition-wise. I’m right there with you on clearing asthma upon going plant based. Also, thanks for celebrating girly-girls.

1. By The50sHousewife (Post author) on

Glad you enjoyed it. I’ll be documenting my return to this way of living over the next few months. We fell off and our poor bodies have paid dearly!

1. By DENISE on

HI! I would love to see your daily food plan. May I have an example? I need to lose 25 lbs and feel better 🙁 LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!!!!

13. By Michelle on

Very interesting. I think I will order the book Tomorrow when I get my paycheck. I have a sweet tooth as well but I wonder how and when do you eat your treats and how do you regulate how much of them you eat without getting fat of course? You see the think is I love to eat pizza once and a while and I’m crazy about my homemade chocolate chip cookies.
    Thanks for everything-and by the way what a beautiful layout you have on your site. It’s so simple to follow and lovely without being distracting. Are you a professional web designer? Well if not I like your style!